Winterveld Enterprise Hub: Automotive is the first of six Automotive Enterprise Hubs established by the AIDC and Gauteng Provincial Government.
The Gauteng’s former Premier Nomvula Mokoyane officially opened it in February 2014, and it is was then a flagship project aimed at addressing skills shortages and socio-economic challenges.
Historically, Winterveld has had a strong, albeit informal, automotive presence and is largely a previously disadvantaged community with informal automotive artisans with little or no skills development or training. Because Wintervelt already had present artisans, it seemed like a natural fit and progression for the AIDC to focus on Winterveld by developing an Automotive Enterprise Hub and up-skill and support the growth of automotive SMMEs in the Winterveld region.
In the initial phase, the Enterprise Hub operated as a state-of-the-art, fully equipped auto body training facility, workshop and final inspection area
The AIDC has employed qualified Master Artisans to provide mentoring and training to trainee artisans. The AIDC has also leveraged off the paint supplier, to create an SMME, who currently supply paints and consumables to panel beaters in the area.
Long-term plans for the department include growing the Enterprise Hub into a facility that specialises in mechanical repairs, wheel alignment and tyre fitment, and a spares outlet, among others.
. The Hub offers the following training programmes to the community:
- Spray Painting techniques,
- Metal Prep techniques,
- Polishing and Paint finishing techniques,
- Paint-mixing and colour-matching,
- Business acumen with quotation accuracy, and a
- Community Centre with Adult Basic Education Training (ABET).
The community can access the benefits of the Enterprise Hub by:
- Completing an application form and returning it to the Hub.
- The details of the individual requesting support from the Hub would then be captured and a detailed analysis of their services would be conducted.
- The required training would then be scheduled and implemented.
Township Enterprise Hubs form an integral part of the AIDC and Gauteng Provincial Government’s strategy to revitalise township economies, increase the skills profile for young people and forge sustainable partnerships for employment creation.